Wednesday, February 19, 2014

White Lies and Opinions


Idk here's a petty little ignorant rant of mine

What annoys me the most about society is that it convinces people that having a different opinion is disrespectful or wrong. Even in our daily lives we often pretend to agree with other people about a certain subject with the misconception that if our opinion and theirs don't match we can't befriend them, or if we think something opposite them we're disrespecting them. It happens even in the most futile situations like "hey do you like my hair?" and society has us thinking that the "right" thing to say is "yes i do" even though you're thinking "no i really don't" because what's a little white lie right? When really it promotes hiding our thoughts and opinions and not practicing saying what we think and exercising our right to free speech and opinion. It's like people think that just because one person likes pop music and another likes metal that they can't talk about music together, when in reality, I believe that talking about these differences and trying to understand another person's perspective is a beautiful thing.
If I ask your opinion on something that I like, I don't want you to lie and say you like it if you don't. I would much rather you say "No, I don't really like it but I see how you do." To me that's a hell of a lot more respectable.
So many different people live together in the same country, city, school, etc and get along. So why then, when it comes to little things like an opinion about a musical group or clothing or for God's sake what is "pretty" and what is not, must we conform to other people's opinions? Why can't people have their own style and ideals? I don't see what is so hard about having a different opinion than someone else and still being able to be friends with them or whatever. I know this is a very optimistic view about how things should be and is nearly impossible but on a small scale, I feel like people might be able to get along a lot better if they would /listen/ to other people's thoughts /without/ the preconception that their own are more "right."

No comments:

Post a Comment