Friday, June 21, 2013

Korean Drama Rec List

Below are most of the dramas that I have watched. The ones that are not included are those that I only watched one or two episodes of and never got around to continuing them. The key is as follows:
bold: highly recommended
underline: currently watching or never finished
italics: highly not recommended
Keep in mind that these are my personal preferences and I explain why I disliked/liked all of the dramas at the bottom underneath the list. I hope you find this helpful if you're looking for a drama to watch and entertaining if you are an avid drama watcher like me. Also keep in mind that while this isn't an extensive number of dramas, I have watched my fair share of them...I'm not going to review each drama just explain what I liked or disliked about them. If you're looking for a summary of the drama google it :)  Feel free to disagree or ask me questions or whatever in the comments, or contact me at my tumblr :)

To see the list, "Read More"!

  1. 49 Days
  2. Answer Me 1997 / Reply 1997
  3. Bachelor's Vegetable Store
  4. Big
  5. Boys Over Flowers
  6. Can We Get Married?
  7. Cheongdamdong Alice
  8. City Hunter
  9. Coffee Prince
  10. Dream High
  11. Dream High 2
  12. Fashion King
  13. Flower Boy Next Door
  14. Flower Boy Ramyun Shop
  15. Haeundae Lovers
  16. Heartstrings
  17. I Do, I Do
  18. I Hear Your Voice
  19. The Innocent Man
  20. I Need Romance 2012
  21. King 2 Hearts
  22. Lie To Me
  23. Love Rain
  24. Man of Equator
  25. Mary Stayed Out All Night
  26. Me Too, Flower!
  27. My Fair Lady
  28. My Princess
  29. Nail Shop Paris
  30. Personal Taste
  31. Playful Kiss
  32. Protect the Boss
  33. Rooftop Prince
  34. Secret Garden
  35. Shining Inheritance
  36. Shut Up! Flower Boy Band
  37. That Winter, the Wind Blows
  38. To The Beautiful You
  39. When a Man Loves
  40. You're Beautiful
The bolded dramas: The ones I highly recommend and why
  1. 49 Days: What I like most about 49 Days is the cast; I felt like the roles were all very well executed and the characters were likable, unless purposely made to be disliked. Jung Il Woo played his part perfectly and he easily became my favorite character, even if he wasn't one of the mains. If you're looking for a drama that has a great melodramatic plot and keeps you interested, I recommend this one! I couldn't stop watching it and while the romance aspect of the drama isn't the focus, it is definitely intriguing, and heartbreakingly beautiful.
  2. Reply 1997: Wow, talk about a realistic drama. I included this in my "highly recommended" list because this drama felt so real. At first I was worried about Eunji acting but she is amazing. She and Seo In Guk are extremely talented actors and they have perfect chemistry. This drama is so different and being set in the 90s it feels a bit strange but it really is one of the best dramas I have watched.
  3. Big: I have to admit I'm slightly biased about this one because I looooove Gong Yoo. But out of all the fun, cute lovable dramas out there I think this one is the best. The plot is good, has nice twists, and the romance is beautiful. Not to mention Shin Won Ho makes a couple appearances....
  4. Can We Get Married?: Again, the cast is what got me! Kim Young Kwang is one of my favorite actors, and along with Sung Joon and Jung So Min I was easily pulled in. This is another really honest drama, and kind of made me fear marriage to be honest, but I think it's good to watch a drama that isn't so...idealized once in a while. Also, the plot is fresh and unique and keeps you on your toes so you won't be bored.
  5. City Hunter: This one I like for the plot and the action packed scenes. I thought I would love Lee Minho's character but honestly I was really drawn to Lee Joon Hyuk's character and I thought he did a really good job of it. This is the drama I cried the most because of and it's really intense but it's also very well done.
  6. Coffee Prince: Never. Gets. Old. I swear, Gong Yoo is just one amazing actor. This is probably my favorite drama; I've seen it twice and I always rewatch scenes. It is beyond adorable, addicting, and there is no way you couldn't like it. Perfect drama.
  7. Dream High: Out of all the dramas set in high school I like Dream High the best; I think it is inspiring and the plot is exciting and interesting. Add some 2pm members and Kim Soohyun and you have yourself a damn good drama.
  8. I Hear Your Voice: Okay, so I've only seen a couple episodes...but honestly this drama is already so good! The first episode was kind of slow but the plot is unique and I feel I'll learn some valuable lessons from it. I love the fact that Lee Jong Suk plays an innocent schoolboy because he is just adorable.
  9. Me Too, Flower!: Yoon Shi Yoon......*swoons* Okay in all honesty I felt like this was one of those dramas where the characters all go through some sort of maturation or change for the better and I really like those kinds of dramas. I highly recommend it because at the same time it is cute as hell and Yoon Shi Yoon will make you fall in LOVE.
  10. Rooftop Prince: First of all, I'm a huge Yoochun fan...But also, I liked the way this drama mixed the past with the present and connected the storylines very well.
  11. Shining Inheritance: This is a must see drama...Lee Seunggi is one of the most talented actors I have come across and I love the way his eyes tell the story....This drama is mesmerizing and has one of the most heartbreaking, interesting, intricate and complicated plots I have ever come across. It will literally have your heart in pain. You feel for the characters as if you are living as them..it's that good. Watch it.
  12. Shut Up! Flower Boy Band: Sung Joon is adorable and sexy and despite the fact that the female lead wasn't very memorable or admirable, this drama is a great coming of age show and I really like the plot. It's different, and since Myungsoo's in it you have to watch it...
  13. That Winter, The Wind Blows: Oh. My. God. Best drama...EVER. Kim Bum is hot as hell, Jo In Sung is fucking sexy, and the rest of the cast are just mesmerizing. I cannot explain how perfect this drama is. The romance in this drama is so...beautiful...I can't even use words to describe it. Not to mention, the plot is unique and interesting and dramatic. Best melodrama I've watched so far.
Phew...now on to the ones I do not recommend at all.
  1. Cheongdamdong Alice: I started this drama before Park Shi Hoo's trial, and when it happened I could not continue the drama for some reason. I didn't really care much for his character anyway, besides his qwerkiness that was somewhat cute. The plot kind of pissed me off and at times I would get very annoyed with it...not a BAD drama but not great, in my opinion. Maybe I just need to finish it.
  2. Haeundae Lovers: I don't know how I made it through so many episodes...it was terrible. I thought it would be good because it was different, but nope. Completely predictable and overused elements of plot and horrible acting.
  3. Heartstrings: I love Shinwoo but for some reason this drama did not do it for me. It was boring and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Cute, but boring.
  4. Playful Kiss: I like this drama, but it was immature and the main characters were slightly annoying. No maturation or change, and no true romantic elements besides one good kiss. Honestly, this drama is overrated.
  5. My Fair Lady: I like the cast but for some reason this drama wasn't anything special. I think it may be because I could tell what would happen and there weren't any interesting plot twists. Eh.
Now to the good ones that didn't make it to my favorites list
  1. Bachelor's Vegetable Store:
    Perfect cast. I didn't finish it because I kind of just forgot about it. But the cast is excellent.
  2. Boys Over Flowers
    The classic drama. This was the first I ever watched so I had no idea what to expect but I enjoyed it a lot. Despite Lee Minho’s terrible perm the drama has everything any drama should-yes including all the kdrama cliches-and if you haven’t seen it, you need to.
  3. Dream High 2
    I liked Dream High 2 but it reminded me too much of Glee....also, the romance wasn't developed as nicely as in Dream High. Good, cute drama but not mature enough for me.
  4. Fashion King
    I loved this drama, despite what other people say. The cast was great; this drama has my absolute favorite actor Lee Je Hoon in it. Also, I love dramas about fashion and this one was very dramatic. The ending was unexpected and this drama drove me crazy, which I like.
  5. Flower Boy Next Door
    Such a cute drama. Yoon Shi Yoon is adorable and this drama honestly just made me happy to watch. Cute and fun.
  6. Flower Boy Ramyun Shop
    I love rewatching scenes from this drama, and absolutely adore the characters. Jung Il Woo is a great kisser, too.
  7. I Do, I Do
    Oh my god, talk about sweet. Again, like I said, I like dramas about fashion and this one interested me because it was about the struggles of a pregnant, single lady trying to make her place in the business world. I think it was very inspiring.
  8. The Innocent Man
    For such a dark, dramatic drama, Song Joongki made me smile soo much. I like this one because it was interesting and unexpected and the ending made me incredibly happy. Great cast, too!
  9. I Need Romance 2012
    Kim Ji Suk is so great; the drama is too but I wasn't too happy with the ending. Good sexy and romantic drama with lots of cute moments and a lot of complications.
  10. Lie To Me
    The kisses in this drama are just soooooooo cute I can't help rewatching them. Not to mention the cast is great. The plot wasn't anything special but its the chemistry that made it so great.
  11. Love Rain
    Jang Geun Suk is so hoooot. Anyway I liked the first few episodes set in the past, but the rest of the drama was kind of a drag. Yoona isn't the best actor but it was very cute.
  12. My Princess
    I loved this drama so much! The main guy is so mesmerisingly sweet! This drama was one that I constantly spazzed about and giggled so much I embarrassed myself. Also, I like the powerful-woman-like aspect of the theme.
  13. Nail Shop Paris
    Gyuri is great...and Kei (I'm sorry I don't know his real name) is just a;gjdkgjsdkjgfd;kgj;!!! The drama isn't finished but I like it because it is different and because of all the mini plots it has.
  14. Personal Taste
    Lee Minho looks gay in this one but he's really hot tbh...I like Kim Ji Suk in this and the plot is very sweet and romantic.
  15. Protect The Boss
    I think this drama is one of the cutest I've seen. I like their relationship and I adore the main characters.
  16. Secret Garden
    A classic. If you haven't seen it, shame on you. Kidding, but it is a must see. I enjoyed it.
  17. To The Beautiful You
    Minho isn't the best actor...but Lee Hyun Woo is amazing. I think he is what made this drama so great. It was fun and funny and I liked it. Not one of my favorites though.
  18. When A Man Loves
    I love melodramas but I haven't finished this one because I kind of got distracted...Anyway the cast is wonderful and I really like the plot. So far I've enjoyed it a lot. I also like the gambling/bad boy image that it has at some points..
  19. You're Beautiful
    Jang Geun Suk at his best. I love this drama because it’s funny and cute and you just don’t want to stop watching. I especially love the way the romance develops. This is one of those dramas that just makes you happy.
  20. King 2 Hearts
    Lee Seung Gi's eyes I swear... Anyway Ha Ji Won is great and this drama is definitely a killed political drama. It's intense and terrifying and I love it.
  21. Man of Equator
    It takes me awhile to get into these episodes...it's very very dark and depressing at times. I like Lee Hyun Woo a lot and hope to finish it.
  22. Mary Stayed Out All Night
    Jang Geun Suk again...He's sooo sexy.... Anyway I like this drama because it's cute and fun and silly and I love the way both men treat her. I just wish she would choose the right one....


No comments:

Post a Comment