Tuesday, June 25, 2013

traveling

Traveling has its ups and its downs, like all things, but this particular trip has made me realize a couple things about people & myself.

One thing that I absolutely despise about road trips is the fact that you spend long, miserable hours in a car, in which, for me, are spent completely carsick, where the only thing to do that doesn't result in going completely insane with agony is to sleep. Then, upon arriving, you do exactly what you came to do: relax. So, in summary, these trips are lazy as hell. The most frustrating part, however, is the fact that during this downtime, I start thinking and strangely become ambitious, finding myself making all these goals about my diet, health, commitments, and priorities that I can't begin until I get home. Even if I try to start here, I have few choices in what I am going to eat, or the activities I partake in. So I spend vacation in conflict, unable to enjoy the single reason families get away from home, to relax.

Then there are the pictures. Besides the fact that in most of them, my eyes are squinted, hair greasy, face make up free, and skin burnt, looking at the pictures makes me realize how unhappy I am with my body. If only I had worked out more earlier! I keep thinking, which again leads to those useless ambitions and goals that tire me out so that when I return home, all I really want to do is relax. But... isn't that the point of vacation...

I realize this all seems extremely negative and I'm not going to lie I did have that mindset on my vacation but at the same time I had a lot of fun. I was able to get away and relax and be with nature and just not worry about anything else and it was honestly really, really nice. I want to go back now that I'm faced with all these responsibilities again and I hate it.

So I guess it's true that it takes a little stress to get something good out of an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment