Monday, August 12, 2013

Song Recommendation?

I know barely anyone will read this but like I say a lot, these posts aren't for other people to read but for me to just flush out my thoughts.
So.

One of my saving graces in life is my music, and I absolutely love exploring new musical styles and genres. So this post is going to be an "out of my comfort zone" music recommendation/inspiration list. I'm just going to post a couple songs that I have found, in the past or recently, that either opened my mind to new genres or styles of music or are just songs that I appreciate even though I don't necessarily listen to that particular genre.

Recent Finds
songs that are out of my comfort zone that I have recently come to like

1. The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather
I'm not sure how popular this group is or this song or whatever but I'm in love with it. It's the perfect song for that certain mood when you're feeling cynical about things and I really like listening to it while I'm writing. I don't know the group very well but I'm sure they're great and I might look into them.

2. Maroon 5 - Love Somebody
Okay, I know this is extremely mainstream, but that's one of the reasons I chose to put this on here. It's often hard for me to admit that I like an American pop group or song but for some reason this one really sticks with me. It might be because the lyrics are somewhat relatable or because it's a pretty song or who knows what but I find it very comforting. I was upset when the video was the complete opposite of what I expected. I think of the song as sort of a tragedy love story, one that is doomed for failure but is regardless beautiful. But the video was full of busty ladies and sexual dancing and why was he groping her ass and her chest? Maybe it was artistic, I don't know, but I didn't feel like it was done as well as it could have been. Nonetheless, the song is great.

3. Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth
So this is an 80s song but I've heard it twice incidentally in the past few days. The first time was in the car, and I was having practically the worst day in the longest time so I was trying really hard to just get to the smoothie place and get myself something to drink and get home but I couldn't stop crying for some reason so I went around in circles until I stopped and when I finally did this song came on and I just burst into tears again. I don't know what it is that is so beautifully tragic about this song but it makes me feel hopeful and sad and depressed and happy all at the same time and I have no idea why. The second time I just heard it playing somewhere but remembering my time in the car upon hearing it made me smile a little because I made it through the day and it made me feel stronger than I probably am.

Past Finds
songs that were out of my comfort zone that opened me up to new genres or groups or just really changed the way I view music

1. The Cab - Intoxicated
This was the first find in a string of American...rock? (I'm not sure the genre) songs and groups that I listened to a couple months back. I love this song because it's fun and upbeat and sounds good but it's also just different. Anyway for me, I never enjoyed this style of song but listening to this made me appreciate The Cab and also other groups such as Imagine Dragons, Train, Florence and the Machine, etc. Anyway I recommend listening to it.

2. Sentimental Scenery - Tune of Stars
This is one of my all time favorite K-Indie songs and it is just beautiful. Sentimental Scenery was the group that really paved the way for my K-Indie appreciation and I just really enjoy the genre now. I used to hate these sort of songs but I realized that there is more beauty to them than I was giving credit.

Anyway I might do another one of these posts later on or just a normal music rec post not sure yet i think it's fun anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment