Friday, August 9, 2013

Language

I think language is such a beautiful thing; you can put so much meaning into things so simple as just words.

And then there are things you can say in one language that don't translate to another and I just find that completely and utterly beautiful. That means that those particular words are so unique that they are strictly singular to one language. No one who doesn't speak that language will ever understand that string of words, and possibly what it means to say them.

This is why I find it baffling that people look down upon people who don't speak their language. For some reason, a lot of people, notably Americans, feel that people who don't speak their language, notably English, are dumb or ignorant. When in fact it is the complete opposite. Other languages beyond English are much more beautiful and interesting and complicated and a lot of times people are too stubborn to see that.

I don't know why people always think that THEIR language is the "right" one or the "best" one or THEIR culture is the culture that everyone should adapt to. Isn't what makes our world so amazing the fact that their are millions of different lifestyles, yet we all live in harmony on the same planet?

It annoys me when people look down on me for my culture, or look down on others for their culture. This is the way they live. This is how they grew up and their culture has meaning to them. Just because it means nothing to you does not mean it has no meaning at all. It just means you are being too stubborn and close minded to give it meaning.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people pity me. I am proud of where I come from and I am proud of my culture. Don't pity me for something like that. This is why I find culture and language so interesting and why I want to pursue a lifestyle where I can openly explore different cultures. I love learning about them and I love trying to find their beauty and I hate that society is often so stuck up and contemptuous about other cultures. It gives people the wrong idea about other societies.

We should be living open-mindedly, not chastising others for the things that make them unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment